The deadline for the 2018 Silliman Competition was April 30. The judging committee has been reviewing the submissions and the 12 finalists will be notified by June 15. The winners will be voted on during the Silliman Reading Session at the conference.
The next Silliman Competition will be held in 2020.
The mission of this competition is to support composers, music directors, and congregations by facilitating the creation of transformational Unitarian Universalist songs.
About the Competition
The UUMN biannually presents a competition in honor of Vincent B. Silliman, whose work in the middle half of the 20th Century helped shape the hymnody of the Unitarian Universalist and Ethical Culture movements. This year, we are looking for songs suitable for congregational singing in Unitarian Universalist worship services, otherwise known as “hymns”.
General Guidelines for 2018
The deadline is April 30, 2018. Early submissions are encouraged.
- Composers with new and recent unpublished compositions are strongly encouraged to participate.
- Diversity of musical styles, composers, and languages is encouraged. Lyrics should be compatible with UU principles and sources.
- The music can
- be unison or with harmonies,
- include piano accompaniment,
- be in lead sheet form, or
- be a full score with instrumentation.
- Submissions should range from short UU praise songs, tropes, or rounds of approximately 8 to 16 bars in length, to longer songs or hymns of approximately 24 to 32 bars in length (minimum of 2 verses).
- Songs should be singable by congregations of varying sizes, singing abilities and ranges. A general guideline is to keep the range roughly within an octave, and no more than a tenth (Bb below middle C to D a ninth above middle C).
- There is a $15 entry fee per composition; maximum 2 entries per person. Payments are collected online at the time of application.
- Submissions should include two notated pdfs (one with composer's name and one without) plus an audio recording in mp4, mp3, or wav file format. This does not need to be a professional recording; it can be made on a phone or through a music notation program. A link to a YouTube video recording is helpful.
- The combined size of all your files may not exceed 30 MB
- You may submit a song that is not notated (i.e., a song to teach paperless by rote), but you will need to submit a lyric sheet along with your audio or video recording. Inclusion of chords is helpful.
- Composers do not need to be Unitarian Universalist to participate.
- Entrants will retain all the rights to their compositions. However, winners must grant UUMN permission to photocopy scores for judging and performance and for inclusion in the 2018 UUMN conference program directory. Composers must state that they are the copyright holders.
- Compositions can be submitted December 15, 2017 - April 30, 2018 at www.uumn.org/sillimanapp. Early submissions are encouraged.
PRIZES: 1st Place $1000, 2nd Place $500, 3rd Place $250
The winners plus 9 honorable mentions will be featured during a reading session at the UUMN Conference in Portland, OR, August 1 - 5, 2018.
2016 - Hymn Competition
- Blessed Be - Music & Lyrics Robin Renee
- For the Beauty of the Earth - Music by Lia Davis, Lyrics by Folliott Sandford Pierpoint
- Juntos Cantamos - Music by Elizabeth Scribner/Christine Lucas, Lyrics by Annie Pal
- Let Peace Expand - Music & Lyrics by Lisa Murray
- The Light Of the Spirit - Music by David Kent, Lyrics by Rev Sarah Tinker
- One Small World - Music & Lyrics Lucy Holstedt
- Open Your Heart To The Joy - Music & Lyrics Cheryl Ritch
- People of Hope - Music & Lyrics Darryl Loiacano
- Seed of Hope - Music & Lyrics by John Kramer
- The Stream of Life (Come Take My Hand) - Music by Theresa Woody, Verse lyrics adapted from Rabindranath Tagore, Chorus Lyrics by Theresa Woody
- Together - Music by Chris Hayden, Lyrics by Myrna Adams West
2014 - Hymn Competition
- Pass On The Light - Clif Hardin, music; Jan Elicker, text
- We Will Walk Together - Clif Hardin, music; Jan Elicker, text
- Rivers of Grace - Carla Gates
- Keepers of The Earth - Joyce Poley
- Here Together - David M. Glasgow
- We Are Sunshine in the Streets - David Burrows
- Keepers of The Earth - Joyce Poley
2012 - All music set to text: "Morning So Fair to See"
- Congregational Hymn: Paul Ayres
- Children's Choir Anthem: George B. Chave
- SATB Anthem: Beverly McLarry