Cultural misappropriation is the term given to the set of injuries marked by:
- using music, reading, symbols, ritual, or iconography of a group without a willingness to engage in their struggle and/or story and connecting their struggle and/or story with our own (UU and community).
- the use of cultural practices as bait rather than an as organic part of our cultural experience
- an unwillingness to respect the community of origin or dishonoring the refusal of a community to share
- disrespect or casual engagement with a practice, or
- unwillingness to share the pain caused by intentional or unintentional misuse.
Council for Cross Cultural Engagement (formerly Cultural Misappropriation Task Force) - September 2006 (- requires Adobe® Reader®)
Helpful resources on Cross Cultural Engagement and Cultural Misappropriation: